Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dumpling Dynasty

Totally digging on: Fiona Hewitt...

Just got some of her things in at the 'gine (that's Pangina) and I am absolutely crushin on how cute it all is...check it out: a fucking shoe shine kit? Breaking my heart...not on that site, is the adventurer's kit and the pigtails kit that we're selling at Pangaea.
Although, I do think some of her stationary stuff looks a little Limited Too/Tramp Stamp if you know what I mean...utilizing Asian references in American advertising thinking its an inspired, original concept rather than a gimmicky format...you get the feeling that those characters could spell out "American Asshole" rather then "Good Fortune Lucky Cat".
However this newer work of hers kinda reminds me of Mark Ryden...see: fresh-faced young children as subjects, symbols as ideas, fantastical imaginary friend-type characters, and hyper realism (except she uses illustrator).
..................................
And so speaking of Mark Ryden!....can we talk about how his ex-wife Marion Peck totally rips him off?! I mean I know they were married for 14 years, and I understand that their styles could've developed together and would therefore be pretty similar, but to THIS extent?

She even modeled her web page to look like his Blood Show! I dunno, perhaps I'm way off base...maybe it's a Rodin/Camille Claudel, all "Anonymous"s are women kind of thing...
But looook at how beautiful Ryden's new series "Wood Nymphs" is....

.........
See the complete Tree Show bigger, better and for real here.